This is the site for the Bartlett Roundhouse Preservation Society. We are a 501(c)3 non-profit organization that helps to preserve and protect the historic 1888 Portland & Ogdensburg and then later Maine Central Railroad Roundhouse with an active stewardship agreement with the owners of the property; State of NH D.O.T. The roundhouse is located along route 302 and is located at mile 70.6 on the famed Mountain Division railroad line through Bartlett and Crawford Notch, New Hampshire.
The Bartlett Roundhouse Club was founded in 2006 by Scott Mallett after talks with representatives from the State of New Hampshire Bureau of Cultural Resources Joyce McKay and Jill Edelmann. The first officers of the club were Scott Mallett-President, Tim Zimont-Vice President, and Jennifer Landry-Treasurer. In 2007 Jennifer Landry stepped down and Sandra Abbott stepped in as Treasurer Pete Davis and Dennis Adams came aboard as Directors. The BRHPC was incorporated into a 501c3 not-for-profit in early 2008 and successfully helped get the Bartlett Roundhouse on the State Register of Historic Places in July of that year. In 2010 a new roof was added by the State of N.H. D.O.T Bureau of Rail and Transit, owners of the building. The roof work involved a complete replacement of all roof boards, replacement and sistering of the roof beams, application of 25-year rubber roofing material. In 2011 the Bartlett Roundhouse Club became the Bartlett Roundhouse Preservation Society. In 2012 we lost Tim Zimont as Vice President to Pancreatic Cancer. 2013 saw more improvements on the Roundhouse. In 2014 Scott Mallett stepped down due to health reasons. Pete Davis became President of the Society. Under Pete’s tenure, more improvements were made and in 2017 the Society was granted a $25K LCHIP grant and a matching DOT grant-making a $50K total grant. Stalls 1 and 2 were repaired as well as the side of stall 4. A driveway and a RR crossing were also added. Pete Davis stepped down as President in 2018 and Cam Sargent became President of the Society, More improvements came in 2019, and then in 2020 work halted completely due to Covid-19. No work was done from February 2020 until march of 2021. We are back on track with a renewed sense of purpose.
The Bartlett Roundhouse Preservation Society owns 2 pieces of historic equipment located on the roundhouse grounds. One is a 40′ outside braced wooden boxcar built in 1918 by the Kieth Car Company for the Maine Central Railroad and numbered 35059. Wood body on a steel underframe with arch bar trucks. The 35059 was converted to a tool car in 1941 and stationed in Bartlett, NH, until retirement in 1968.